Planty Family

Planty Family

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Sisters' Weekend and Body Powder Recipe

A few weekends ago, we had our annual "sisters' weekend." I have 6 sisters and every year we rotate who hosts a fabulous weekend of fun, food, local sightseeing, shopping (so much shopping), and laughter. Sadly, one of my sisters wasn't able to come this year. It was in Colorado. We drove to Manitou Springs to spend a day taking in the scenic atmosphere of this cute little tourist town nestled right up to the mountains. I had the Classic Gyro at Baba's Burgers. Do yourself a favor and get one if you're ever in this neck of the woods. Amazing. I may or may not have saved a tiny bite that I just couldn't finish in my purse because I could not bear to throw it away.



There were a lot of other fun things to see and do. We sampled the water out of the various spring water fountains around town, We went into some neat shops. I bought some beautiful succulents from a side room in a quirky little dress shop. We were exhausted and ready to head home by late afternoon. As we were walking to the car, I spied a shop called Anna's Apothecary down a side street. You know this crunchy mama could not resist. It was a lovely shop with a plethora of fun herbs, clays, teas, and tinctures. I left with a pound of silky kaolin clay. And I knew exactly what I was going to do with it.

I've been wanting to make my own body powder forever. I have a c-section scar that gets irritated in hot weather and body powder does wonders for it. But, although I'm a fan of what body powders do for my scar, I'm not a fan of the ingredients. Possible carcinogens, endocrine disrupters, irritants, mysterious "fragrance." Pass. So, I whipped up my own natural body powder using this kaolin clay.



Ingredients

Arrowroot powder
Kaolin clay
essential oils of choice (I used lavender and tea tree)

Instructions

Take a jar, any jar. Seriously. I used a 15 oz. empty sauce jar. Fill it halfway with arrowroot powder. Pour kaolin clay in the remaining half. Then put in 15 drops of lavender and 5 drops of tea tree. Of course, you could use more or less depending on preference and size of jar. Screw on lid. Shake it well. Boom - done. Easy peasy.



No comments:

Post a Comment